April 4, 2009

Quod Libet: First Day

Some thoughts/observations so far:
  • I'm enjoying the automatic rating plugin, and expect it will be very useful in filtering out the detritus from my CBC Radio 3 crawls - just listen on shuffle for a while, then drop the worst-rated files.
  • The default rating settings are weird - 4 notes? Usually 5 or 10 is standard.
  • I haven't found a way to properly refresh the library without restarting - newly downloaded songs don't show up. Not a deal breaker, but annoying nonetheless.
  • Relatively seamless transitions between songs. I like. Also, the interface is snappy in general - no slowdown when I rescan the watch directories, no strange loading pauses.
  • The built-in config GUI hides most options from me. Why? Is it that hard to provide an advanced settings toggle?
  • The Amazon album-cover-grabbing plugin is barfing on me with some expat errors. Not cool. (As an aside: there's a bewildering proliferation of XML-parsing libraries for Python. It's no wonder that the Python standard library has taken the "here's some reasonable defaults, plug your own in if you want" route.)
Overall, it's a positive first impression - most things work as they should, save for some minor gripes with plugins and general style.

No comments:

Post a Comment